Yeast for Coffee Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justintoxicated

Reaction score
Thinking about doing the AHS Coffee Stout. Recommended is WLP-013 (Londone ale) and WYEAST British ale...

I have the following from previous batches:

WLP-011 (English Ale)
WLP-085 (English Ale Blend)
WLP-051 (California Ale)
WYEAST Greenbelt

I was thinking to try and use up my WLP-085 since its been in the refrigerator for over a month, but I do have 3 jars of it. Would this be ok? would WLP-011 be a better choice? Should I stop being cheap and buy WLP-013?

I really don't think you need to buy more yeast for a stout. The 011 would be my choice to keep a little more malt and body due to it's lower attenuation. The 085 will work great too and if you want to get it used before it gets too old I say go for it. I don't have experience with 051, but the 001 California Ale always seems to accentuate hops to me, something I don't want in my stouts. I hear Greenbelt does this even more. With a robust malty beer like this, I don't think you can really go wrong, it's mostly about what you like.

Back