Ferm-cap/ No Foam and Hop Isomerization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SgtB

Reaction score
I've read in various places that no-foam helps with hop isomerization. Has there ever been any hard numbers or formulas for this? I'm mainly curious because I do partial boil extract, and I'm curious if it's adding more bitterness to the brew than the recipe accounts for. I know most partial boil kits add a little more to help hit the IBU's. Not that more hops is a bad thing :cross:, I'm just curious if there is a formula or guideline I can follow. Thanks!

I've read in various places that no-foam helps with hop isomerization. Has there ever been any hard numbers or formulas for this? I'm mainly curious because I do partial boil extract, and I'm curious if it's adding more bitterness to the brew than the recipe accounts for. I know most partial boil kits add a little more to help hit the IBU's. Not that more hops is a bad thing :cross:, I'm just curious if there is a formula or guideline I can follow. Thanks!

I've never heard that Fermcap-S affects hops utilization! That's a new one on me. I guess it's theoretically possible because utilization is impacted by the amount of break material, but I haven't noticed more (ore less) hot break when using FermCap at all. I still have about the same amount of break material whether I use Fermcap or not.

I've used it a few times and I can't say that I've noticed a measurable increase or decrease in Hop utilization. If there is any, I don't think it's enough to cause a change in recipe.

Back