Hurricane, hops and yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thecad

Reaction score
I had my hops and yeast in the fridge awaiting my next brew day when Sandy hit my area. Lost power for about 36 hours and the women that lives with me just started tossing everything after seeing a news report that said to throw out everything if power is out for more then 4 hours. My question is are the hops and yeast I had in there still good or should I toss and order new?

Your pal,
THE CAD

I think that as long as they were still sealed up they should be fine, just get everything back in the fridge once pwer is restored and get some brewing done!

36 hours? I bet the yeast is fine, I imagine it did not get too hot in there after starting at 40F. Hops are definitely OK.

I didnt have power for 10 days. Im wondering if my hops/yeast went bad. The house is older and it was very chilly throughout the house with no heat. Id hate to lose my hop stash, but I dont wont to make a bad beer either. Tough decisions!

I doubt the hops went bad, but there's also a big difference between if you're going to try to brew a big hoppy IPA with them, or just use them to bitter a stout.

The yeast is almost certainly fine, it's not like it's the middle of summer, but the best way to make sure is just make a starter before you brew.

your hops and yeast are fine. and the woman throwing things out after 4 hours is a bit nuts, a closed firdge/freezer retains it's chill for a while. insulation is a wonderful thing.

Back