Gaslight Brewery South Orange NJ

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Daughter and son in-law went to this place over the weekend. Mixed reviews on PubCrawler, but here’s what they thought. Couldn’t find any other Pub Talk here on HBT. Thinking of giving it a try. Anyone else been to this place?

eh. food was actually pretty decent. they had a big selection, at least.
as for the drinks, jeff and i got their sampler to start... beers were... eh...
they had a light and a dark higher alcohol 9.8 and 8.6 (i think), but both tasted too much like alcohol.
they had a porter and a stout that were ok, nothing stand-out.
their hoppy beer tasted like it came from a can.
one was a cask style served warmish. and there was a nutty brown ale that was pretty week, but tasted ok.
all in all, no real stand-outs... at least i didn't find one that i had to have another of.
not sure how long they've been around, so maybe they're just getting their recipes down.
i wouldn't mind trying them again when they rotate their tanks.

I give it a "meh." It's better than most bars around here, but not great as microbreweries go. I tried their cask conditioned bitter that was on an English engine, and it tasted overwhelmingly like vinegar- clearly some equipment/turnover issues there, and it led to a really awful pint, the worst I've ever had. Their other house brews don't compare favorably to what I brew at home, but they have a lot of good "guest beers" (especially German beers and American IPA's) that they rotate through, and they are supportive of local brewers and homebrewers. I love the place and it's kind of funky vibe, but wish they made better beer.

The Trap Rock Brewery in Berkeley Heights makes pretty incredible beer, but is in another tax bracket.

Back