Should a take a gravity check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gopher40

Reaction score
Midwest Superior Strong Ale has been in primary (bucket) for 1 week now. Instructions say to transfer to carboy after 5-7 days. I have not taken a second gravity reading yet (the SG was 1.061 or so). My first beer I did not use a secondary (it was a Hefeweizen), but I would like to clear this one up. It just seems like 5-7 days is kind of on the early side to transfer. Should I take a gravity on this beer? Right now I am getting a bubble about every 45 secs or so.

Leave it alone for a month, then if you plan on bulk aging that BIG beer, rack it to a secondary for a month or more. Ignore the airlock. But if you aren't moving the beer right away, you do not need to take a hydro reading right now.

If you are questioning your gravity, then I say rock out:rockin: a reading at see what it says. Couldn't hurt. And it will give you a better idea on how much more time you should give it.

Also, and this is just a side note because I got in trouble with this as well when I first started, don't measure your fermentation by the amount of bubbles or airlock activity. Many things can cause them such as a slight temperature change to a small jostling when you walk past the fermentor. When in doubt-o trust the hydro (or refractometer-o)

Leave it in primary for 3-4 weeks. Ignore your kit instructions, a beer with an OG above 1.060 needs more than 5-7 days for the yeast to do their job and then have time to clean up all the byproducts of fermentation. The yeast make the beer, all we do is make the sugar water to feed to the yeast. Give them plenty of time to do their job!

Waiting it will be then, at least a couple more weeks. Should I not even bother taking a reading until then? I am seeing I will need to buy a second primary to keep the pipeline going! Like I have read in here before...the hardest thing is the patience part!

Waiting it will be then, at least a couple more weeks. Should I not even bother taking a reading until then? I am seeing I will need to buy a second primary to keep the pipeline going! Like I have read in here before...the hardest thing is the patience part!

Don't bother. You are not going to do anything based on the result other than satisfy your curiosity. Check it in a month.

GT

I recently made a big beer (1.082) I racked it to secondary on Friday (27 days) and it will sit in there for at least 3 weeks before I bottle it to condition even longer. I didn't even bother with a grav. reading when I racked. I'll take one at the end of the month when I start thinking about bottles.

Back