How deep for boxed beds?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megavites

Reaction score
I have 3 types of hops ready to be planted.
I see that the root zone should be boxed out to prevent
migration. How deep should the “walls” of the box go down?

Try a 5 gallon bucket (like the orange ones at Home Depot) with the bottom cut out. It will force the roots downward instead of fanning out. Just fully bury it in the dirt and plant the rhizome in the center.

Just my .02:p

talleymonster said:
Try a 5 gallon bucket (like the orange ones at Home Depot) with the bottom cut out. It will force the roots downward instead of fanning out. Just fully bury it in the dirt and plant the rhizome in the center.

Just my .02:p

I did this the first year and found that the plant will quickly become rootbound which can lead t reduced yields.

tagz said:
what material do you use to box it in?

I recycled a collapsed shed. Used the sheet metal to build the boxes.

2353000449_e58a79d458.jpg

2353833478_ebc27a3df3.jpg
:fro:

david_42 said:
8-10 inches seems to be enough.

I know there's a joke in here somewhere.

GilaMinumBeer said:
+1 but I went 13 out of convienince.

Ahh there it is.

No really. I think this year with my new orders, I'll be sinking 5 gallon buckets into the ground to help control em.

I have plants over 2 years old now. I don't see massive root expansion/invasion...yet.

Then again, when dealing with something that can live for a good amount of time, I doubt we can really do everything to keep them from doing what they're going to do.

The nursery size 3 gallon buckets they sell trees in is the same diameter as
a standard 5 gallon. I have 40 of these buckets that I intend to sink in the ground, but will take a razor to the bottom, as well as a few lines in the sides.
If they go rootbound, and press up against the edges, they'll have an escape route...... at least that's my theory.

I like your idea of using 3 gallon tree buckets. I have a few of those stashed in my shed.
However, I kinda think that cutting a hole in the side would basically defeat the purpose of why you're using a bucket or raised/sunk bed in the first place.

I do have raised and sunk beds for my hops. The sunk bed is only 6 inches or so. 1 plant of mine is coming up on it's third summer and the root has not spread far at all.
The other raised beds are ~16" high.

Latest posts

Back