Ok toe aerate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShawnBoucke

Reaction score
I mean "ok to aerate" can't edit the title it seems

I've brewed a couple beers, and am VERY careful between my growler to bottle not to aerate the beer. I am now making my first mead. It is going to be in need of some filtering before I bottle it. Do I need to be careful as to not aerate it, or does it not matter with mead? What is the best method? (I have been syphoning beer to a pot of honey/water (I know not needed for mead), and the syphoning it to the bottles.

I mean "ok to aerate" can't edit the title it seems

I've brewed a couple beers, and am VERY careful between my growler to bottle not to aerate the beer. I am now making my first mead. It is going to be in need of some filtering before I bottle it. Do I need to be careful as to not aerate it, or does it not matter with mead? What is the best method? (I have been syphoning beer to a pot of honey/water (I know not needed for mead), and the syphoning it to the bottles.
With meads, you don't have to be so anal, as you do with beers.

Why would you think it'll need filtering ? If you use gravity/time (cheapest method), normally, you can get it clear - which anecdotally, is defined as being able to read a newspaper through it. If you use finings, it's a lot quicker, but again clear equates to the newspaper thing.

Filtration is normally only to give the product a final polish. If there's any particulates still in the brew then it's gonna clog the filter very quickly. I dunno about beers, but reds are usually filtered with media in the 5 to 1 microns size and whites < 1 micron (normally 1 or 0.5 micron, unless you want "sterile" filtration, which is considered to sizes like 0.45 to 0.25 microns - filter media of that sort of size also has the potential to strip out some pigmentation and possibly flavour/aroma molecules).

There's little point in rushing things, as meads are routinely aged for periods of at least 6 months, stretching into the years..........

Wow, ok. looks like I have a while. The recipe I have says to bottle it after a month, but we'll see if it is done be then.

Back