Is my cider bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WIBeerGeek

Reaction score
Siphoned off some cider that has been fermenting for almost 5 weeks and it tastes a bit like vinegar, is that just a phase, or is my batch bad?

It is likely not bad. I made the same mistaken assumption on my first attempt at cider this year. When most of the sugar is taken out of the cider and you have the dry, alcohol, apply flavor, it bears a resemblance in flavor to mild vinegar. I had a BJCP national judge I know come over and check mine out because I thought the same thing at first, and I had done multiple batches with different cider blends in each.

Once I back sweetened them a bit they were quite tasty. You do want to keep your oxygen exposure to a minimum on cider as it can go to vinegar with oxygen and acetobacter.

Thanks for the quick reply. I hope all I need todos back sweeten, however I don't need the carbon quite yet, so I am just going to let it sit a bit longer..

My cider has a noticeable vinegar taste after a month after two months and up it is gone.

Back