Cleaning Stove After Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Humpsalot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I have time nasty baked on gunk on the stove. It's a gas stove with pilot light. Baked enamel finish.

What is a good cleaner to use?

I have a gas stove with 4 burners. My 9 gallon pot can straddle 2 (not perfectly) and I get a much faster boil that way. Recently, to make things easier for me and to make my wife happier, I started removing the grills and using aluminum foil to protect the plates below the burners. I just cut a hole for each of the burners then replace the grills and go to work.
When done, the great majority of mess is easy to clean and I've found that it actually helps the heat more and even keeps my mash at a steady temperature longer. Simple and cheap (that's me!)

Thanks all. The woman was over last night cleaning my stove and I figured there had to be a less time consuming way to clean it so I told her I would ask you folks here.

Yup. That's me. Mr Thoughtful.

I've started moving my pot to the other burner and cleaning up immediately if I spill anything. Yes, not the safest route but if it doesn't get baked on you don't have to kill yourself trying to get it off.

But from now on I think I might go the foil route as well. How come I never thought of that....

If the top of the stove is not attached to the back part where the clock is, I say just pop it off and take the whole thing to a do it yourself carwash. Presoak with something like easy off and let the high pressure hot water do the work. Did this about 3 times a year on my old stove to get the really nasty stuff that did not want to scrub off.

Oh, and I should not have to say this but to prevent libality I will. Take the stove top out of the car before cleaning with the high pressure water......

Back