Dry hopping trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarponteaser

Reaction score
Greetings from the SpaceCoast,

I brewed up an Imperial Black IPA with 7 ozs of hops ( 1 oz added at ten minute intervals), and plan on dry hopping with 1 oz each of Columbus and Centennial after 2 weeks in the fermenter.

I've never dry hopped with more than 1/2 oz before....

How much trub can I expect from the 2 oz of pellet hops?

Thanks for any feedback

The pellets will swell, but it is minimal in comparison to the amount of trub that might already be in your fermenter if you didn't strain the wort.
Why are you concerned about how much trub will be created?

Thanks for the replies guys. More curious than concerned. I'm fermenting in a bucket with a spigot on it, no secondary. Not wanting to take the lid off, I'll be removing the airlock and putting the pellets in via funnel through the hole in the lid. The existing trub is just below the spigot, so not too worried about solids carryover. I typically bottle the first quart of so to remove 'most' of the trub then fill the keg.

The paint strainer on a collar is great for boiling, use it for the multiple additions wihout having to clean a bunch of bags.

Regards

Either way works. If you take the lid off at this point the risk of oxidation/contamination is just as extremely low if you aren't sloppy - with either method. Again, either way your beer should turn out good.

Back