Square Tubing Size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm747

Reaction score
After reading everything I possibly could about building a brewstand, I went ahead and bought a welder. I am looking to get the square steel now and was wondering if anyone has built a stand with 1 1/4" square tubing as opposed to the 1 1/2". I didnt find anything doing a search.

Thanks.

Tim

There's no reason you couldn't use 1" thin wall, if you properly cross braced and supported it... Triangles are very strong - It's not necessary to use 200# of steel to make a 4' table that can hold 300 pounds...

There's no reason you couldn't use 1" thin wall, if you properly cross braced and supported it... Triangles are very strong - It's not necessary to use 200# of steel to make a 4' table that can hold 300 pounds...

Exactly what I was thinking, a couple vertical sections and some triangulation and you will be set.

Thanks guys. I figured that bracing was where its at. However what do you mean by triangulation? Put the supports up in an angle or something?

Triangles are stronger than rectangles.

Something like this, to support the top.
Stand.jpg

Also, get the thickest tubing you can afford. If you are just learning to weld, it will make your life a lot easier.

I got a whole bunch of 16 gauge 1 inch surplus.
I used it for a lot of stuff. I was amazed at how strong it was once built and braced, having been raised to build everything out of 1/4 inch. And if I was told to go get a piece of "that thin wall stuff" they we're talking about 1/8.
Now I know that it is not needed. I dan make very sturdy things from the 16 guage 1 inch square. Too bad I ran out of it because now I could use it to build a brew stand n

I agree - I don't know why people (used to be me:drunk:) think they need heavy steel to build something strong. I made a go cart when I was a kid out of 1 1/4" steel pipe... That mofo was HEAVY! Ever look at the frame of a truck? 12Ga maybe. And that's got 3000# rolling on it!

1" thin-wall is fine when properly braced. :mug:

Back