California common recipe question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nimand

Reaction score
I got the Cali common recipe from NB. It calls for a month secondary but I doń use a secondary. What do you guys suggest?

Leaving it on the primary for two weeks for primary fermentation and the continue to leave it there for an additional month before bottling.

One conspiracy theory out there is that beer kit suppliers continue to recommend racking to a secondary for all their beer kits to sell more 5 gallon carboys. It really isn't necessary in most cases although many used to think you should always do it.

It won't harm anything...if you are concerned, you can always: 1) Use the spigot on the bucket to drain off the trub, or 2) rack the trub from under the beer

IMHO it is best not to over handle the beer and just let it sit in primary....if you can cool it, chill it down as cold as you can get it for the lagering period.

Nimand said:
I've heard it's bad to leave the beer on yeast cake that long

This has to do with auto lysis and it is not a concern in home brewing scale. It has to do with the time the weight I the beer sits on the cake and compresses it. We are not dealing with enough weight to cause this and there is even some discussion amongst commercial brewers as to it's real effect if any.

You could (and should in this case) leave it on the cake for 4-6 weeks then bottle without any ill effects.

You already said you don't use a secondary right? Is this longer than you've usually waited then? If so don't worry about it and just let it ride. The only thing I think you should be careful about is bottling and not sucking up a bunch of yeast. Other than that you're good to go.

I was told the same thing as you when I first started brewing but people are reversing course on this method of thought regarding secondaries. I personally still use mine because a) I have them already and b) I can free up some space in my primary for another beer. I think both methods are completely acceptable.

Back