Founders Breakfast Stout clone questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tellish33

Reaction score
Here are my ingredients. Some are close but not exactly what they called for in the book.

6.6 lbs Briess light, unhopped, malt extract
1.7 lbs Briess Golden Light DME
22 oz. flaked oats
1 lb Briess Chocolate Malt (350L)
12 oz. Weyermann Roasted Barley (435L)
9 oz. Castle de-bittered Black Malt (550L)
7 oz. Crisp Extra Dark Crystal Malt (120L)
2 oz. ground Kona coffee
2 oz. ground Sumatran coffee
2.5 oz. dark, bittersweet bakers chocolate
1.5 oz. Cacao Nibs (Dominican)
1.1 oz. Nugget Pellet Hops (12.3% AA) (60 Mins)
2.5 oz. Williamette Pellet Hops (4.5% AA) (30 Mins)
2.5 oz. Williamette Pellet Hops (4.5% AA) (0 Mins)
1/2 tsp yeast nutrient (15 Mins)
1/2 tsp Irish Moss (15 Mins)
Wyeast 1056 (American Ale)
.75 cup corn sugar for primin

This will be my 3rd brew. My question is about when to add the hops, nutrient and irish moss. When it says 60 mins, does that mean at the start of the boil after the wort is made and then follow with 30 mins later for the next addition? What does the 0 minute mean? I take it you add the last addition when the boil is complete before you do the cool down? Do you add the nutrient and irish moss with 15 mins left or 15 mins into the boil? Last question, the directions say to pitch yeast and aerate well and let cool to 8 degrees and hold at the temp until fermentation is complete. Is 8 degrees right or is this misprint and its supposed to say 68 degrees?

I know its a lot of questions but thanks in advance for the help.

The recipe refers to total boil time and count down from 60 to 0 minutes with 60 minutes being the beginning of the boil and 0 minutes being knock out (as soon as 60 minutes have elapsed and you shut off the flame).

• (60 min) Add nugget (bittering) hops as soon as the boil begins.
  • (30 min) After 30 minutes add a dose of Willamette.
  • (15 min) After another 15 minutes add the Irish moss and yeast nutrient.
  • (0 min) After the final 15 minutes have elapsed shut off the flame and add the final dose of Willamette.

Do not chill your wort to 8 degrees! It must be a misprint. Chill to 70 degrees F and then aerate the wort (either using an aeration stone and pump with HEPA filter or by simply swirling the beer in the fermenter). Then pitch your yeast.

Latest posts

Back