Sparge additions in EZ Water vs. Bru'n

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyBroas

Reaction score
Hi, I recently discovered the Bru'n water spreadsheet and it's fantastic. For my upcoming brew, I am trying to create the same recipe in EZ water and Bru'n for comparison.

EZ has an option on row 37 that allows you to choose whether you want to add your salts to the sparge as well as the mash. My question is - does Bru'n have an equivalent feature? I've been digging through it and I can't find an option to specify that I only want to add salts to the mash and not the sparge (or kettle).

On a related note, in Bru'n under the "Water Adjustment" sheet, in row 12 there are the Finished Water Profile figures. These are adjusted by changing the salt additions below it. What I can't figure out is that since the salt additions are given in grams/gal, how come the Final Water Profile is not changed when the water volumes are changed? I ask because I tried to answer my first question by putting the sparge water volume to zero (cell L15 on Water Adjustment), but it has no effect on the Finished Water Profile. Is there another water volume input that I am missing? The formula is hidden so I can't trace it.

Thanks for the help.

Back