Equipment Failure Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tranceamerica

Reaction score
#1 - on the way home with my 1980 Honda CB900C - the motor started cutting in and out on the freeway. I ended up stranded on the exit ramp from the freeway, uphill with a solid line of cars behind me - rush hour.

** problem solved by replacing the blown (hopefully due to age) main fuse with the wire part of a small binder clip ** and a HUGE PUBLIC THANK YOU to the un-named suzuki rider who stopped to give me moral support **

#2 - while checking the strike water temp, I dropped my (rather cruddy) digital thermometer into the water. It was hosed.

** resorted to back up candy thermometer, well known to give innacurate and slow readings ** but it will be beer **

#3 - stuck sparge!!! -

** dumped mash into brewpot, cleared all clogged stuff and dumped back to mash tun **

#4 - stuck sparge again!!!

** wiggled drain nozzle about a million times and offending grain piece finally passed through **

!!!!!!!!! finally !!!!!!!!

I figure through all of this, I probably missed my mash temp by about 2-4 deg F. I also couldn't get the grain bed up to 168 for a mashout. However, this is the first time I've really realized that I should try to get the grain bed up to 168, not just sparge with 168 water. so, while i wasn't able to get the grain bed above 166, I think that's much better than before, when it was probably 160 or less. Since I don't do gravities (good thing too, because w/my track record last night I would have ended up with broken glass in the wort)... I don't know my efficiency.

#5 - finally got to bed about 1:30 am. SWMBO wanted some...beer...and my equipment....

Just kidding - :mug:

Back