adding raisins to wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denniswaynes

Reaction score
I have a recipe I made last year for a wine with herbs and honey. Drinking the wine this year, I enjoyed it, although I thought the flavor could use improvement. I'm considering adding white raisins, as it is a white wine, to balance the acidity, and improve the flavor. With recipes I have followed from other winemakers, one wine- (pumpkin) called for one pound of raisins with 2-1/2 lbs. of sugar. My recipe for cranberry wine called for 2-1/2 lbs. of sugar, 1-1/2 lbs. of raisins. Since the recipe that I am using is a recipe I have invented, how can I know how many raisins to add?

Read around through some recipes similar to yours or that inspired yours and see how much raisin they use. Then maybe make a few gallon batches and test various amounts. I just started playing with the welches wines I make by adding a pound of chopped dates to them. Very interesting!

Back