Order of using gelatin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpacemanSpiff

Reaction score
I'm looking to take my first crack at using gelatin for fining. Since going to BIAB my beers are pretty cloudy and seem to take awhile to clear. Even after 2-3 weeks in the keg they'll be cloudy and have kind of a harsh taste. After another 2-3 weeks though everything is great. So I want to see if hitting the batch with gelatin will speed things along.

My question is when to do this step. I have a batch in primary now and my thought is to use the gelatin in primary and then rack to secondary for the dry hop. I guess something about using gelatin after dry hopping worries me that I'll also be stripping out some of those dry hop flavors I tried to put in. So clearing it out first and then dry hopping in my mind seems to be the best way to go. I've seen a lot of people doing the opposite though. So which is the best way?

I always use gelatin in the keg. I ferment and dry hop in the primary. Then cold crash for several days and rack my cold beer on top of the gelatin mix. The best way to get the gelatin just right is to put a tsp in 1/2 cup water at room temp. Stir and let sit for 20-30 mins then heat it in microwave until its just about to boil, but not quite. Stir. Dump it into your keg. Purge with CO2. Rack beer on top of it. Should be crystal clear in 3-4 days

Back