Final Touches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

its02003

Reaction score
I recently welded together my two tier stand and am in the process of aquiring all the finishing touches for the system to take off. Once I suck it up and pay the 100 bucks for the subscription, I will post pictures (I also need to clean up the sorry welds and paint it.)

What I need are suggestions/part numbers for the last few things I need.

#1: 3-piece ball valves: I would REALLY prefer stainless, although the QDs I got from MMC are brass so I guess it doesn't matter. The cheapest I have found SS ones is morebeer for 25 each (once I buy the 3, the shipping is free.)

#2: Hoses: As mentioned above, I bought QDs for the system and I think when all is said and done, I will have a need for 4 lengths of high temp hose. I don't know what to use and what is food safe. I see pictures all over the place but I went to HD last weekend and 3 different people told me they didn't know what they were talking about.

#3: Sight Glass: I have 2 Sankes (purchased LEGALLY) and a cooler. I dont plan on using a sight glass for the cooler, but would like to have one on each of the kegs (at LEAST the HLT.) What is everyone's preference for this?

#4: Burner mounting: I have welded everything into place except for the mounts for my two banjo burners (burners only.) What I would like to do is build a round shield and cut grooves down the sides instead of holes so that the burner can be raised, lowered at will. My current plan is to weld two pieces of steel 1" stock 9" apart across the opening in the stand and use that as the basis for the mount (i know, I know, pictures would help)

#5: Last but not least, does anyone have any tips for building the regulator for the propane. Like I mentioned, I have 2 banjo burners and no burner body. My plan was to buy the 0-30 psi Bayou classic regulator from Amazon and solder/bolt some sort of tubing together to be able to feed both burners from one tank (they will be run individually, never simultaneously,) and not have the propane supply suffer to either one.

Its really amazing the amount of ideas I have been able to place into practice just from lurking on this forum for the last year. I really can't imagine how much more money and free time I would have if it weren't for the addictive content and DIY genius that resides on this forum.

You can get a subscription for 20 bucks (annual membership), the lifetime is only $75. In the mean time you could host your pics on a site like photobucket.

Where can I get the lifetime for 75???

You show me where and you all have a new lifetime supporter. As far as the premium membership is concerned, I might as well shell out the whole lump sum and not worry about having to pay again.....I owe this site something in return anyways...

I'll get pics tomorrow and post them when I get home from work....stupid firewalls.

McKbrew,

Thanks for the link to the silicone tubing site forum. I did a search and I think my tired mind just skipped over a few of the results. I think the morebeer.com product is in my future.

The link you provided for the ball valves is one I have seen before and one that I may end up using if I can't find a 3-piece ball valve for cheaper than 25 bucks... but the site you sent doesn't have 3 piece valves.

I apologize, didn't realize the membership rates had went up. I guess I should have bought a lifetime membership sooner.

Here are those pictures I said I was going to get....

DSC_0768_1.JPG

DSC_0779_1.JPG

DSC_0780_1.JPG

Hope that gives a better perspective to what I was talking about. I went to Lowes today and found out they carry 24" wide sheet metal, no 21" and they wont trim it for me. I am not a fan of using snips to trim 42" of sheet metal down... so thats a new search for me. Also, my March Pump is on the way and should be here mid week. As I have found, it seems the MoreBeer 3 piece SS ball valves are the cheapest to be had at 25 bucks and free S&H.

The pump will be mounted in the lower center of the stand.

EDIT:::: Looks like Austin Homebrew has the same fittings for a penny cheaper!!!!! YESSSSS@!!!!!! haha....anyways... I feel better supporting them than B3 since I feel more like supporting a friend than a store.

A local heating / sheetmetal shop should shear your material for a couple clams or a 6 pack. Sounds like a 20 second job with a plasma cutter, locate a friend with one and offer that 6 pack again.
A sharp fine tooth carbide blade in a Skilsaw with wax and a very slow slow feed or a jigsaw depending on the gauge of the material your cutting. Too thin of material your screwed.

Since my steel supply contact is lagging in supplying me with what I need, I still have time to overthink the burner thing. I have the design all together, but I still have no idea what height to put the burners at. Suggestions?

Sorry boss i'm out of here on this one my build will be an all electriclly heated system. I've not a clue about gas burner to keg spacing be it propane or NG and I have all three to chose from. Today my propane driver friend stated propanes going to keep costing more wait until winter.

sheetmetal shop can run that through a slitter or stomp shear for next to nothing, look for the small shops not the fancy building with the pretty landscaping. They usually have some mean shop forman that makes sure the company gets every 100.00 bill they think they are entitled to.

Back