Strawberry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baileyforlife

Reaction score
So I have some wheat beer ready to go from my primary to secondary and I would like to add strawberry. I was going to just go to the store and buy some frozen strawberrys, but my wife told me she had picked some fresh and cooked them down and froze them for strawberry shortcake. The only difference is she added sugar to them to sweeten them when she was cooking them down. Would these still work?

Yup. Be prepared for another (albeit small) fermentation though, especially with the extra sugar. Also may get a little more carmelization flavor out of them since their cooked, but that could add another layer of character to it. Sounds good to me :mug:

Yup. Be prepared for another (albeit small) fermentation though, especially with the extra sugar. Also may get a little more carmelization flavor out of them since their cooked, but that could add another layer of character to it. Sounds good to me :mug:

That would kind of depend on when he adds the strawberries from what I understand.

Adding them at the boil would most likely reduce the fermentation, adding during or after fermentation should not cause any change to it though.

I am in the habit of adding them during fermentation and haven't added sugared fruits so take it as you will.

That would kind of depend on when he adds the strawberries from what I understand.

Adding them at the boil would most likely reduce the fermentation, adding during or after fermentation should not cause any change to it though.

I am in the habit of adding them during fermentation and haven't added sugared fruits so take it as you will.

Yeah, but the beer he wants to add it to is already in the primary, ready to go to the secondary :)

Thanks guys! I think i'm going to do it tonight. I think the only difference i'm going to see is that i might have to leave it in the secondary longer than i planned but maybe not. A little extra fermentation is all good with me. It'd have to be down right unsafe for human consumption for me to pour out my beer!

Thanks guys! I think i'm going to do it tonight. I think the only difference i'm going to see is that i might have to leave it in the secondary longer than i planned but maybe not. A little extra fermentation is all good with me. It'd have to be down right unsafe for human consumption for me to pour out my beer!

Well if you add it then it will be unfermentable sugar, so you willl get a sweet beer. Not a bad thing just different.

Latest posts

Back