Storing grains question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReverseApacheMaster

Reaction score
Let me say off the top -- I searched and found information on this subject, but the answers were to a different question (how to store large quantities). My apologies if I overlooked the thread or post that specifically answered this.

I'm 3 extract brews in (that have all turned out very well) and want to take the baby step into partials. Most places I have looked online sell grains in quantities greater than what I need, leaving behind a pound or half a pound of a particular grain.

I'd like to be able to store these smaller amounts for weeks to a few months until I can find something else to use them in (another recipe or experiement by mixing them all together).

I know that keeping them cool, dry, and away from insects is the key. I have some clean jars with secure lids (think pickle jars) that I was considering using and placing in the fridge. Is this a worthwhile idea, or is there a better suggestion on how to store these smaller amounts?

Back