stout...Light or Dark DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan

Reaction score
i'm going to be brewing a stout either this weekend or next, the recipe i got off of beertools had called for Xlbs of Dark DME. I had ordered everything i need and its sitting at home, but the last few days i've been seeing topics on just Light DME for everything even stouts and letting the grain take care of the color. how much of a difference would it make by using Dark rather then the Light?

It won't make much of a difference at all.

The point about using an extra light DME as a base is especially true for lighter brews, IPAs, etc.

With that said, I use dark grains for the flavor/color and do use extra light DME as a late addition. The late addition is not to try to preserve a light color by less carmelization as much as it is trying to maintain a boiling gravity of about 1.040 - 1.050 for better hop utilization. ;)

I recently made a great tasting Guiness clone. If you're interested in my step by step instructions email me for a copy.

Back