Secondary Fermenting Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiversC174

Reaction score
For my next batch of beer I think I am going to do secondary fermentation. If I choose to do secondary fermentation next time how long does it need to be in the secondary fermenter? Also, the instructions for my beer kit say to bottle after primary fermentation and let it sit for at least 2 but preferrably 3 or more weeks. If I decide to do secondary fermentation, when I bottle the beer does it still need to sit in the bottle for 2-3 weeks after secondary fermentation, or can the week or so it was in the secondary fermenter be applied to those 2-3 weeks I have to wait after primary fermentation is complete? And, last but not least, one of the above posts mentioned "additional flavors" can be added during secondary fermentation, what things can I add during this time to flavor it a certain way? You guys are lifesavers... haha.

You should leave your beer in secondary for at least a week or two. This stage lets the yeast continue to ferment then sediment out, without sitting on the old yeast.

You will still need to wait the two to three weeks for bottle conditioning, as no carbonation is built up in the secondary fermenter.

As for additional flavors, you can dry hop in the secondary. This will give your beer hop aroma with no added bitterness. Also you can add fruit to the secondary. This will probably kick up the fermentation due to the added sugar, and may benifit from a third fermentation vessel.

Hope this helps

- magno

Back