New BK.....Hop/Trub filter ideas.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
from what little I've read, that trub filter is a PITA. How are you going to be cooling your wort? that may help answer your question.

I use a plate chiller. Currently I use a hop bag during my boil, but aren't crazy about the affect it has on utilization. I whirlpool to try and keep the trub out.

Honestly, I would use a hop filter like this:

ForumRunner_20121015_091241.jpg

I don't think you will get rid of the hot break, but you will be able to control the hop trub.

As of this morning there is a thread about this SS strainer if you will, about 3 down from the top. I'm mobile do I can't post the link.

i have been following that link, as well as the hop strainers that Stainless Brewing offers. I guess i was hoping there might be a good solution to control both the hop and the hot break trub.....

I use a spider, takes care of the hop material about 95%. I whirlpool so i get the hot break cone in the center, then have a side pickup to not pick up the hot break. I have to recirc to sanatize the plate chiller anyway. I guess I don't see the problem there. I've also lately been doing this while taking a first pass of cold water through the PC. Bring my BK down to about 100 degrees or less, then start collecting into my fermentor.

I will be posting a thread in the vendor showcase section later this week with more options on this. We'll still offer the one for those who are still willing to pay a little more for an 18" tall basket, nice clean finish, something you can see the difference along with something that sits directly in the middle of a vigorous boil and not on the sidewall of the pot. One that will be unfinished that hangs on the side like the picture above for a low price. One that doesn't need to hang and just sits in the pot given our design never lets the mesh touch the bottom anyways. Another will be one that looks like a pancake that wraps around the diptube to keep sludge and hot break from passing through at an EXTREMELY LOW price. Everyone wants a clean beer, less cleanup, something that will last and the most hop utilization they can get. We'll try to offer an option for everybody to be happy with the budget they have.

Back