Is briess crystal 40L the same as Briess caramel 40L?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChicoChaRico

Reaction score
Trying to make a belgian pale ale (extract)... came across a recipe from Tastybrew.com for a Belgian Honey Pale Ale that uses Crystal 40L. I get most of my supplies from Northern Brewer and they only have Briess Caramel 40L. Are they the same thing?
Also, I take it that the Crystal 40L, Carapils, and Belgian biscuit are steeping grains? Is 2lbs of grains a lot? First time deviating from a recipe kit.
Thanks everyone.

Recipe:
5 gallon batch

6.00lbs Light Malt Extract Syrup
1.00 Honey
1.00 Crystal 40L
0.50 CaraPils
0.50 Belgian Biscuit

1.00 Goldings 60min
1.00 Goldings 2min

Yep, crystal vs. caramel is just an American English vs. England English thing.

I can't tell if that "honey" is bee honey or honey malt, which is a type of grain that leaves a little bit of sweetness in the finished product. Too bad the recipe is not a little clearer. Hmm. But yes, those would be the steeping grains.

This is a little off topic but take it for what it's worth, the recipe could be more authentic with a few minor changes.

-Instead of light LME use Pilsen
-For crystal 40 use the Belgian version CaraMunich
-For CaraPils use Belgian Carmel Pils
-Lose the 2 min Golding addition. Belgian ales have very little if any late hop additions, it's all about the yeast character.

A side note, Biscuit really needs to be mashed. I can't remember if it has enough enzymes to self convert so may need the help of a base malt. You can get away with steeping it, it's just not ideal.

Thanks!
I am definitely up for suggestions. This would be my first recipe without a kit, so any help would be welcomed.

I really like Smuttynose Star Island Single, which is suppose to be a Belgian Pale Ale, so not sure if it is "Americanized" or a classic Belgian. It's not very hoppy, so my original recipe might not be similar given the late hop addition.
Anyone familiar with this beer?

Latest posts

Back