First Time Brew, Any suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ89

Reaction score
This is my first brew.
I would like to try this strawberry cabana mead recipe.

Here is what I plan on doing, but any help/input would be awesome.

1 Gal

- add three pounds honey to brew pot w/ 1/2 gal of water
- add 3.6 - 4 pounds strawberries (tops cut and berries chopped)
- add 0.8 - 1 pound of bananas(chopped)
- add 1 tsp yeast nutrient
- Stir Brew pot

- pour brew pot into primary fermenter
- put airlock onto fermenter ( doing this to avoid anything getting in)
- let sit for 12-24 hrs

- Put boiled water into glass cup.
- Put glass cup into cool water and allow water in cup to cool to 60-80F
- add 1 tbsp sugar to water and stir
- add yeast to sugar/water (plan on using Lalvin 1cv/d-47) *
- cover cup about 45 min - 1 hour then add to fermenter

- wait 1 week then rack (I heard you do this to get the must from all the sediment at the bottom, which leaves an off taste if left in. Any truth to this?)

- Ferment for 3 more weeks then rack again.

- Ferment for 3-4 weeks then enjoy/bottle

* The recipe called for Lalvin 71b-1122 ( I just figured the one I picked was for for mead, input?)

This is is my first time doing this, I've read up on things here and there so I hope i didn't miss too much. I will be taking hydrometer readings (thinking only a OG reading and a FG reading total).

ANY Input or help at all is very much appreciated.
Thanks.

Do you have a hydro? SG around 1.030? (Somebody correct me if I am wrong please...just bouncing it off my old notes)

Also, don't be afraid to let it sit longer than 3-4 weeks before bottling. One of the biggest mistakes is not letting it age.

When in doubt sanitize! Good Luck!

I do have a hydrometer.

No SG cause i haven't started the brew yet (wanted to make sure there wasn't something big I missed in my steps that would make it all a waste).

I do plan to let it age. Was thinking a 6 month period for a first time batch. Is that too short?

Thanks!

get a strainer bag for the fruit it will help alot when you get rack, other then that if you wanna make a true wine your sg is going to have to be well above 1.030....peace out my friend good luck!!!

Does anyone think I may need to use a campden tablet for this batch?
Thanks.

Always use 1 campden tablet per gallon when starting a batch. It helps prevent oxidation until you can get an airlock on it after fermentation

Back