clogged liquid-out port on corny keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moti_mo

Reaction score
So I have a clogged liquid-out port on my corny keg. I can get some beer out, but it comes out as a slow pour of 100% foam, so once I pour a decent amount of beer (with a ton of head), the carbonation is pretty much lost. I imagine its probably a rogue hop fragment from the secondary dry hop that worked its way up the tube and is clogging things.

My question is - does anyone have any decent tricks to fix this problem? This is my best beer yet, a delicious double black IPA and having this pouring/carbonation problem is driving me slightly crazy.

Thanks for any input.

Release the pressure in the keg. Take the port out and clean it. Sanitize and put it all back together. Turn the gas back on.

remove the beer out post and tube clean and put it back? can use a piece of foil to protect the open keg?

but first release the pressure in the keg.

-=Jason=-

Hmmm, that's pretty simple. I guess I didn't inspect the port closely enough, as I thought it was welded in place. But I suppose they're fit in there with compression fittings or o-rings? This is my project for the night...

Happened to me a few months ago. I had some hop debris stuck in it and the pressure eventually built up to where it shot the plug out of the post and the beer hit the ceiling before coming down all over my floor.

Success...after having to go to Home Depot to get a deep 7/8 socket to get that sucker off.

Oh and I just remembered what I did. I just hooked the gas up to the beer out tap and hit it with some gas.

But hey, now you have that 7/8 socket!

Oh and I just remembered what I did. I just hooked the gas up to the beer out tap and hit it with some gas.

But hey, now you have that 7/8 socket!

That was actually my first thought, but I envisioned making my beer a foamy mess if I hit it with too much gas.

But yeah, now I have another specialized tool that's only good for one thing!

If you have mfl connections, it's quite easy. If they're barbs, you have to swap lines on the barbs.
Just make sure to take the connectors off the posts before you do this, unless you enjoy a beer shower!

Yup - I vouch for the gas method. Actually spoiled a batch because I kept transfering to different kegs. It must have been REALLY trubby as it clogged three kegs. At my wits end, I read this post and...

Oh! Unscrew the disconnects and swap em, then give a little blast?? Genius. 30 seconds vs how much grief?

Oh well, learned a valuable one here

Latest posts

Back