My First Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jow145

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm making my first mead. The mead is a traditional syle made from basswood honey. I just transfered it to secondary and it APV was at 14-15%. Its taste good sort of tart slightly sweet. I would like some suggestion on what I could add to this mead so give it more of a fruitful summer time taste. I was thinking of some kind of fruit concentrate too sweeten it up and maybe push down the alcohal for thoughs that I want to drink it.

It is now is a five gallon carboy filled to the rim. I have a 6.5 gallon carboy that I can use.

Any suggestions or ldeas would greatly be appriciated.

JOE

If you are concerned about lowering the ABV, you may want to mix some campden tablets in there to kill of the yeast, so that when you add some fruit it won't get fermented (though the yeast may not be able to tolerate much more than 14-15% anyway).

Can someone back me up on that, or explain more?

As for delicious summer flavors... blueberry? Blackberry? Something like that.

PS- Is it finished fermenting?

I dont believe that it is completely done fermenting but close. I took one reading only. It went from 1.12 to 1.00 and its been about 3.5 weeks.

Back