Raspberry Stout, extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kilhd

Reaction score
Hi all, someone posted this recipe on another forum and I was wondering if anyone here might know how to "convert" it to extract for me? Or if you can do that at all?
I think it's a recipe that Wayerbacher used to make their raspberry stout, but here it is...

OG 20.6
FG 6.6

Mash into at 144 F for 60minute

Pale 75%
C-55 8%
Carapils 5%
Roasted Barley 5%
Chocolate 3%
Wheat 3%
Black 1%

Boil 90 minutes
IBU: 25 IBU w/ any high alpha bittering hop(not too much so the raspberries show through)
Finish with Fuggles (ditto)

Fermentation:
68-70 F

Raspberry addition:
Add after primary fermentation has slowed a bit but it is still able to mix thoroughly and to ferment the added sugars. They can be added earlier (boil), but we found that that caused a much more vigorous fermentation and that the aromas were lost a bit because of that.
We use Aseptic Red Raspberry Puree (Oregon Fruits) at a rate of around 2# per 5 gallon batch.

OG 1.086

Steep:
C55 - 1.36 lbs
Carapils - .85 lbs (I might drop this since extract beers tend to be less fermentable, and there is debate over whether carapils is converted enough to steep anyway.)
Roasted Barley -.85 lbs
Chocolate - .5 lbs
Black - .17

8.5 lbs of pale/light DME or 10 lbs of pale/light LME

The amount of bittering hops will depend on their AA%, but any recipe calculator can do that easily. Maybe .5 oz of Fuggles in the last 10-15 minutes of the boil.

Make sure to pitch lots of yeast since it is such a big beer (either a starter or a couple packs of dry yeast). The ambient temp will need to be ~5 degrees lower than your target fermentation temp for the first few days since the yeast produce heat as they work.

Hope that helps, good luck.

Back