Testing gravity.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thaumatourge

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am making my second batch of cider. So far since I am a noob, I am only making 1 gallon batches. For those of you that make 1 gallon batches, how do you test your gravity? I since I am making so little, I don't want to take a cylinder full out just to dump after reading. My meter sinks deep enough into my gallon jug that I touches the bottom. How do you all test? Can / should I just dump the tested liquid back into the jar after testing. Will this add a detrimental amount of oxygen when poured back in?

Thank you.

As long as you sanitize your equipment and pour it slowly and carefully I don't think it would be much of a problem. Maybe use a turkey baster and instead of pouring it, use the baster to transfer the cider, inserting the tip into the cider in the jug when replacing it.

I use a turkey baster (sanitized) to pull out of my 1 gallon jug and into my cylinder (sanitized). I test with my hydrometer (sanitized) and then dump the cylinder sample back into my jug.

That's the easiest way to do it, that's what I do. But if you're really worried about getting oxygen in your cider, after reading the gravity you could use the turkey baster to put it back into the jug. I like to drink it right out of the tube sometimes :D

That's the easiest way to do it, that's what I do. But if you're really worried about getting oxygen in your cider, after reading the gravity you could use the turkey baster to put it back into the jug. I like to drink it right out of the tube sometimes :D

Mee too

Thaumatourge said:
Did not think to use a baster. Thanks for the idea. Probably use it when I back sweeten with concentrate also.

Neither did I. I bought a glass wine thief. I'm always afraid I'll drop it in the carboy and it will break. Plus if there is headspace it takes a lot to fill my test tube. Of course I just drink it after testing it.

I also use a turkey baster but for a test tube I use the tube the hydrometer comes in. Because I only do one gallon batches to me it makes since to use a smaller size test tube. Plus I always plan on pouring it back in but usually end up drinking it:)

+1 on the baster. I give everything a good spraying with starsan, and when done, dump the cylinder slowly back into the jug.

Once you get your method down, the only readings you will need to really take are the OG...one when racking to secondary and then one at final. Unless you are looking to hit a specific gravity so you can pasteurize, there's no need to mess with it. (well unless there's something that looks stuck or kooky) When something looks off...a wine thief is your best friend ;) just put your hydrometer in the thief and jump it up and down until you have enough for it to float. If the thief is properly sanitized, just let touch it to the side and let it flow back in.

In a 1 gallon batch...my suggestion would be to let it ride and don't worry about it.

Hope that didn't come off as preachy...just don't sweat the small stuff.

Latest posts

Back