Will 3 lbs of LME + 6 lbs of honey work for my first attempt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pixalated

Reaction score
I have 3 lbs of Light LME left. I am considering buying 6 lbs of honey and boiling the whole thing with .5oz of leftover hops for 20-30 minutes. I have a few questions:

Will I end up with something drinkable?
What kind of yeast should I use?
Will LME provide enough nutrients, or should I buy some extra?
How long should I age this?

First I will say don't boil the honey. There is no need to as honey is antimicrobial and you loose the aromatics when you do this. Just add it at flame out.

Also here is a simple Braggot recipe I found by Joe M. of the Joe's Ancient Orange Mead fame. I have it in 2ndary as we speak.

basic bragot

"The most basic braggot would simply be about 5 lbs of honey and 3 lbs of light DME in about 5 gallons total volume, fermented with your favorite ale yeast. However I would highly suggest the addition of about half a lb of crystal malt and one quarter to one half oz of your favorite bittering hops. For example:

½ lb Crystal malt
3 lbs light DME
5 lbs Honey (I like clover)
¼ - ½ oz hops (I like cascade or cluster)
Ale yeast (I like London ale)
5 oz corn sugar to prime at bottling

You would bring 2-5 gallons of water to about 150 degrees and steep the grains in a grain sock. I crush the grain myself with a rolling pin for freshness but you can buy them pre-crushed. Remove the grain after 30 min and bring the wort to a boil. Add your DME and hops and boil for 60 min.

Remove from the heat and stir in the honey. Add the wort/must to your fermenter, bring it to 5 gallons final volume, allow it to cool completely, and pitch your yeast. I will usually rack once at about 6 weeks, allow it to clear completely, and bottle it with 5 oz of corn sugar for carbonation.

I find that it’s good after 6 months of ageing but benefits from a year. I like to leave all my meads for 12 months before I touch them because I like them to come to their full potential before I start consuming them."

Back