Where to vacation in the Smokies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cubbies

Tastes like butterdirt
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The wife and I have decided to take a mini vacation this October to the Smokies. Obviously there is Gatlinburg, but that is the "tourist trap" kind of place. Does anyone know of any other areas that are similar in that you can get a cabin and there is a little bit of a town etc?

Me and the W are heading there in Oct as well. We are staying in a town called Sevierville. Somewhere between gatlinburg and pigeon forge. Looks nice! If you are going in 2 weeks we can hook up, Ill bring the Oktoberfest!!

Tellico River area. It's in TN. Google it and look at the pictures, an absolutely beautiful place with incredible trout fishing.

We stayed in a cabin in the woods just on the edge of Gatlinburg last summer. For the most part we could avoid the town. Was very nice!

Sevierville is great. You can do a hotel in the off season for a really reasonable price, and you can take the trolley to all the touristy places when you want to go. Thats your most economical option, and plus its convienent to the places kids want to go -- Dixie Stampeed, go-karts, mini-golf, etc...

This isn't in Sevierville, but its really nice.

http://www.americanmountainrentals.com/cabins/peachescream.html

kitten and I stayed there for our honeymoon 13 years ago, it was wonderful -- there were real live wild bears in the garbage cans and everything - lol

usually when we go up there, something like peaches and cream is what we try and get -- I like monutain chalet type experience better than the hotels/motels in Seiverville/Pidgeon Forge/Gatlinburg

forget about Gatlinburg, Sevierville and Pidgeon Forge...unless you are retirees trying to entertain grandchildren. If you don't enjoy mini golf and outlet malls, go elsewhere! I warn you! You will get NO sense of the rich local culture and natural beauty, unless you consider waddling tourists wearing caps with fake poop on the brim and licking ice cream cones to be the epitome of living.

Instead, I urge you to look into Boone, NC or better yet, Banner Elk, NC. A little bit of town, but in easy distance of some excellent hiking and other stuff. NICE restaurants and friendly locals. There are some nice B&B's in the area, probably some cabins, too.

Just a suggestion, but that's what I tell all you "out-of-towners" to do, unless I hate you. If I hate you, I tell you that Gatlinburg is da bomb and to make sure you check out the IMAX at Ripleys Believe It or Not.

:D

forget about Gatlinburg, Sevierville and Pidgeon Forge...unless you are retirees trying to entertain grandchildren. If you don't enjoy mini golf and outlet malls, go elsewhere! I warn you! You will get NO sense of the rich local culture and natural beauty, unless you consider waddling tourists wearing caps with fake poop on the brim and licking ice cream cones to be the epitome of living.

Instead, I urge you to look into Boone, NC or better yet, Banner Elk, NC. A little bit of town, but in easy distance of some excellent hiking and other stuff. NICE restaurants and friendly locals. There are some nice B&B's in the area, probably some cabins, too.

Just a suggestion, but that's what I tell all you "out-of-towners" to do, unless I hate you. If I hate you, I tell you that Gatlinburg is da bomb and to make sure you check out the IMAX at Ripleys Believe It or Not.

:D

Given, I live a little ways away in Chattanooga, but I agree with what Bedlam said.

Isn't Banner Elk the Christmas Tree capital? I do know that they have an anatomically correct male elk statue in town. They also have a wooly worm festival every year.

Back