Honey Steam - Grain Bill Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregblatz

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am planning on making a steam style ale with honey. I have put together the recipe below and would love some input. The more I think about it, the more I am worried that I will have too much specialty grains.

Beersmith has this coming in at 1.051 / 10.5 lovibond / 39 IBU
65% efficiency

What do you think?

3 lb Maris Otter (3)
3 lb Pale 2 row (2)
1.5 lb Vienna (3.5)

.5 lb Biscuit (23)
1.25 lb Caramel (40)
.5 lb CaraVienne (20)

1 oz Cluster 60 min
1 oz Northern Brewer 10min

1.5 lb Clover Honey

WL810 San Fran Lager

I, too, think that 1.25# Cara 40 might be excessive, esp. with the other grains already there.

I'm no expert on steam beers - that's one style I've not even dabbled in - but if I had to ballpark it, based on what I know about the taste of Anchor Steam, I would half all of those specialty grains... the Vienna will contribute some maltiness already, so I'd limit it to 4oz Biscuit, 12oz Caramel 40, and leave the CaraVienne out entirely.

I *think* the hop schedule looks fine, unless someone more in-the-know has advice.... I don't know if I would use Cluster for bittering, since it's a british hop.... BUT it could be good, with the addition of the honey, to keep away from something citrusy?

If you're looking for honey flavor, I'd add 4 oz Honey Malt to the grainbill.... remember that real honey will ferment out drier than wort usually does, and will lend itself to a dry finish.

Overall - Looks at least intriguing! As I noted, I've never tackled this style before... But it looks good! On the right path!

Yeah I haven't done a steam style yet either. My basement is going to be around 60-65 degrees for the next few monthis so I figured this is about perfect for the lager yeast/warm temp combo.

Thanks for the input on the grains, I think I will take your advice and cut back quite a bit.

As far as the honey is concerned, I want to up the alcohol, but also have some honey flavor. I have never used honey before. Can someone give me the quick bullet points on the following:
Adding during the last 30 mins of boil
Adding during the last 10 mins of boil
Adding at flameout
Adding after primary fermentation settles down

Thanks!

I think you'll be disappointed with a honey addition for taste. The result is most likely to be a drier beer with a boost to the ABV. I support what Chriso said, to try adding some brumalt to the grain bill. It's basically just a crystal malt, but the intensity of the crystal flavor is such that, when paired with a good malty grain bill ends up with what I would call a honey aftertaste. I think that's what you're shooting for... and the vienna will make it punch.

That said, the honey will certainly thin out the beer and bring to something more quaffable, as would most sugar adjuncts.

I'd ratchet back the caramel malt and the biscuit, both to 4oz., 86 the caravienne, and add 8oz brumalt. The base grains have a truckload of flavor as it is (I'd be tempted to go all MO on this one).

Or you can use about 4oz of Honey Malt that will give just enough Honey taste.

I was going to do a steam beer within the next month, and my recipe was Yooper's Anchor Steam clone (with different hops). You might want to consider doing something closer to that one.

IIRC her recipe was
10# Pale 2-row
1# Crystal 60

1 oz NB at 60
.5 oz NB at 30
.5 oz NB at flameout

With that being considered, if you want the biscuit and honey flavors, I would go with something like this:

3# Maris Otter
3# Pale Malt
2# Vienna
1# Caramel of your choice
.25# Biscuit
.25# Honey Malt

I was just going off of your ingredients. That will give you an OG of 1.050.

Back