My Munich Helles Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirilis

Lvl 10 Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So im brewing Jamil's Munich Helles (12g batch) and Im going to be using the below water profile ( basically just RO plus salts ). Anyone use something completely different for their Helles? This will be my first one.

Ca - 70ppm
Mg - 11ppm
Na - 0
Cl - 109ppm
SO4 - 65ppm
CaCO3 - 0

RA = -56 (1-5 srm)
Cl:S04 = 1.68

I was considering bumping the CaCl2 up another gram but I think it is fine where it is.

I know it's been a while, but do you recall how did this turned out? I'm going to be brewing Jamil's Munich Helles as well and I'm looking for an idea on water profile.

It was fine, but I use a different profile now for those beers since I moved to the country and use strictly RO water as a base. I use close to 0.5g per gallon of CaCl2, and CaSO4 until I have ~70ppm Ca, and 50-60 ppm Cl and SO4. There is no Mg or Na.

I add lactic acid enough to get my mash pH to ~5.3-5.4

I use close to 0.5g per gallon of CaCl2, and CaSO4 until I have ~70ppm Ca, and 50-60 ppm Cl and SO4. There is no Mg or Na.

That original profile was far too mineralized for a Helles. Even the profile above is higher than I prefer. I suggest about half the concentrations above.

Back