Increasing Shelf Life of Concentrate Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackhammer

Reaction score
I understand that a "basic concentrate" wine does not age well.

My recipe is for 1 gallon

2 cans concentrate

3 cups sugar

1 packet EC-1118 yeast

Ferment 3 weeks, rack to secondary for 1 week, then bottle. Chill and serve.

What can be added to this basic recipe to extend its shelf-life? I would love to make larger quantities, but I want it to be able to age.:confused:

You extend the shelf life by adding sulfites. One crushed up Campden tab per gal will protect the wine. I'm assuming you mean grocery concentrate for juice not concentrate specifically for wine making. The reason some say that concentrate wines don't age well is because they typically don't improve much over time as most wines do.

Good luck!!

You extend the shelf life by adding sulfites. One crushed up Campden tab per gal will protect the wine. I'm assuming you mean grocery concentrate for juice not concentrate specifically for wine making. The reason some say that concentrate wines don't age well is because they typically don't improve much over time as most wines do.

Good luck!!

Yes, I was referring to grocery store concentrates. I was thinking Campden was all I needed. Thanks for confirming that. I appreciate it! :rockin:

Back