Advise for a Summer Wheat Pummelo Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewkowski

Reaction score
I'm thinking of a nice summer brew and I was going to use some pummelo and orange zest in it. I am still undecided on a yeast, I was thinking of using a hefe or belgium yeast (not sure if I want that much ester to it), but then I also thought about something like a koelsch or california. I'd like to it crisp and carbed, and I plan on using Amarillo ,Centennial or maybe Strisselspalt. I haven't used any of these hops, but looking for those that are more fruity/citrusy. I can't lager, and I do extract brewing. Any ideas?

I was thinking somewhere along the lines of

3.3 Weizen LME (55%w/45%barley)Late Addition
3.3 Extra light LME
.5 Honey Malt
.5 Flaked Wheat
.5 Cara Pils
.5 white wheat
1 lb Flaked Rice
2 whole pummelo fresh peel, zested
2 tangerine fresh peel, zested
1 oz Chinook 60 min
.5 oz Amarillo 15 min
.5 oz Amarillo 10 min
.5 oz Strisselspalt 0 min
1 whirlfloc tablet

?? yeast, something with a very mild ester or crisp and clean

Is this too fruity, I don't really want a fruit beer.

Did you ever make this? I've got some fresh pummelo and was thinking about doing the same.

Actually, by the time I figured out what i wanted to do, the pummelos were no longer at the store. I ended up using a combination of grapefruit and orange zest for sort of an citrusy Imperial Wit sort of beer. If I remember it turned out a little too sweet, but if I had toned down the OG I think the grapefruit would have turned out nicely in it. I think the pummelo would have worked well in it. Good luck if you do it.

Back