Batch Sparging Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

November

...relax...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe I've been doing it wrong, but when I batch sparge I generally allow the wort to drain off slowly by opening the valve only a small amount. I just finished reading the newest copy of Zymurgy that has an article about batch sparging. In it, it says that after vorlaufing the run off speed doesn't matter so you might as well open everything up and go at full speed. Has anyone had any experience with this?

With batch sparging you can just open up the valve. It is only a concern when fly sparging because you are trying to match to what is coming out to what is going in.

Isn't the whole point of not opening it all the way to keep it from getting stuck? So what difference would it make before or after vorlaufing?

Isn't the whole point of not opening it all the way to keep it from getting stuck? So what difference would it make before or after vorlaufing?

You need to start it slow to keep it from packing down and getting stuck. But once the grain bed is set you can open it up all the way. Supposedly the vorlauf gives it enough time to set up the grain bed.

There are some other factors in play like bed depth, crush, wheat malt, etc...

Here are the reasons for a slow runoff during a fly sparge:

1) You do not want to compact the grain bed and risk a stuck sparge.
2) You want to wash the grains well to hit your efficiency. You do this with a batch sparge by stirring the grains very well with each batch sparge. With Fly sparging there is no stirring after the dough in.

Back