Did my wine ferment too quickly?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Islandboy85

Reaction score
This is my first batch of wine ever, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I started off at O.G. 1.092 and by the beginning of day four was reading 1.001. Throughout fermentation it had a sweet smell of fermenting juice, but when I popped the lid this morning and racked it to the secondary it had a wicked bite to it. Did I screw up something?

It's really too early to get an accurate "taste."

Let it sit in the secondary for 10 days to 2 weeks, then add finings ... you'll "find" it tastes a lot better by then.

Also, I've had wine kits that fermented to dry in 3 days ... and kits that took three weeks. Depends on a lot of variable. Use the hydrometer ... it's your friend.

I had read on some other posts that wine could ferment that quickly, but it was the sudden change in the smell that worried me.

LOL, I wasn't huffing my wine Yuri. The whole kitchen had the stink when I popped the lid off.

I have a bad habit of sniffing my batches while they are fermenting. (I know, there's probably a 12-step program for that somewhere.) I've noticed that almost all of them go from smelling nice, to awful, to nice again. I've also noticed that the taste doesn't necessarily follow the same schedule. If you give it some time you'll probably find that eventually it will smell good again. And if you're like me, you'll be dying to taste it at that point, at which you'll find out that the taste hasn't caught up with the smell. But it will :)

I use Curvee almost exclusively with my wine making, and i've noticed that it does ferment quite quickly

It gets down to 1.000 very quickly, usually no longer than a week

I used Cuvee simply because it seems to have the most forgiveness in operating temperatures. Being that I live in a drafty apartment I thought that it would help to have the latitude.

4 days is by no means to fast to get to 1.001. Hope you have it in secondary by nowI had wine go faster than that(a lot). this is not out of normal range

Yeah, as soon as I checked it at 1.001 I racked it to secondary. I think that I should have done it the evening before when I checked it at 1.013. Oh well, next time I will know.

Back