Egg white clearing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CandleWineProject

Reaction score
I keep running across mentions of using egg whites to clear wine, but not the actual description. Is it just one egg at a time, yoke removed? Is it multiple eggs mixed together a little bit? No one ever mentions potential problems with salmonella, either.

I've never done it, since there are so many good clarifyers for wine, so I looked at Jack Keller's website to see what he has to say about egg whites. (He's my winemaking idol!).

He says: Egg white is an excellent fining agent for removing haze caused by excessive tannin. Separate an egg and gently beat the white in a small amount of the unclarified wine. C.J.J. Berry insists that one must add a pinch of salt to the white before beating it. I will certainly not argue with him. Use half the beaten white per 5-gallon carboy. Simply pour the beaten egg white into the wine and stir well with a long sterilized rod. Refit the airlock and set aside for ten days. The wine should clarify. Rack and bottle it at once.

I tend to go with Sparkeloid for most wines that don't clear on their own. But I have used SuperKleer with good results. More info from Jack Keller's site in on this page: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/finishin.asp (about 1/2 way down the finings start).

Oh, okay. No, I don't think I'll be using that method any time soon because I don't usually have problems due to tannin. Actually, I normally don't have problems when I put in pectic enzyme, but I have this 2.5 month old peach wine that isn't clearing. I've heard peaches can be a bugger, and mine seems no different. I'm not really ready to bottle it, but at the same time, I'm getting a bit twitchy.

I've been trying to find out if its possible to reduce the amount of tannin in a wine because I've foraged some Sloes (fruit of the Blackthorn) to make into Sloe wine, but Sloes are known for their mouth drying astringency, so Sloe wine needs a long maturation period before its palatable.
I found this page which talks about using egg white to reduce tannins:-
https://winemakermag.com/wine-wizard/1056-can-i-reduce-tannins-in-a-wine-kit-without-aging

Oh, okay. No, I don't think I'll be using that method any time soon because I don't usually have problems due to tannin. Actually, I normally don't have problems when I put in pectic enzyme, but I have this 2.5 month old peach wine that isn't clearing. I've heard peaches can be a bugger, and mine seems no different. I'm not really ready to bottle it, but at the same time, I'm getting a bit twitchy.
I would rack this potion again and wait 1 month if no clearing is present throw in some bentonite, wait a month and rack again.

Back