Vienna Lager Lazy Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Mainebrew

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Saflager S-23
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
28 days at 48 F
Additional Fermentation
2 days at 65, 7 days at 40 to crash, then to keg
Tasting Notes
Smooth, and not too bad for an all extract, first lager attempt
I made this beer on a last minute whim to the LHBS. It was my first attempt at a lager just to see if I could do it before I spent any money on an all grain recipe and found out my equipment wouldn't handle it. So its crazy simple and even the wife was suprised how good it came out for being an extract recipe.

Malt/Fermentables:
3.75 lb pilsner liquid extract
12 oz Dark DME

Hops:
1 oz Hallertauer 60 min
1 oz Hallertauer 2 min

Yeast:
Just poured in the packet of S-23, no starter or nothin'!

Fermentation:
28 days at 48
2 days at 65
7 days back at 40 to crash cool then I went to keg. Not sure how you would bottle prime a lager.

Notes:
This was a full volume boil, so AA extraction from the hops may be different if you top up with water once in primary.

The sulfur production is quite high during fermentation but there is not even a trace in the finished product.

Lager fermentations a much more subdued than ale ferments just fyi. Don't worry that you only have a 1/2" bit of krauzen after 24 hours. No biggy. Super simple....

this recipe looks easy, what would happen if i used an ale yeast and used a shorter fermenting time?

Necropost, I know. I just made this beer, and it's pretty good for such a simple recipe. I used Sparkolloid to clear it up, and you can actually read text on a page through it!
rv4XKoX.jpg

Cool, I'm glad you liked it. I forgot about this beer! Glad it worked out for you.

Latest posts

Back