Line balance problem or over carbed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacefive

Reaction score
Hey,

Got a dunkelweizen carbed up - set it at 25 psi at around 37 degrees. I want to leave it at pressure while serving since we may drink it slowly. Anyway, I had 6 feet of 3/16 beer line and was getting blasted at the tap, obviously. I doubled it to 12 feet of 3/16, put it on the tap ran a little beer through and let the line chill. Now the line is cold but i'm still getting crazy carbonation out of the tap. I thought this was actually longer than a correctly balanced line by a bit. Any ideas? Is the beer itself possibly over carbonated? Should I reduce pressure to serve?

Thanks all!

You have it carbed up to nearly 4 volumes. That's fine, since it's a style that is nice highly carbed, but you're going to want LONG lines to balance that. I use 25 feet of line for soda, which is at approximately 4.15 volumes. Usually, I "settle" with 12 psi in my kegerator which is a fine middle of the road carbonation for most of my beers. With 10-12 psi, I use 10 foot lines.

Ill piggyback on this old thread. I have been stuggling to get the foam to subside in my kegs. Ive kegged 5 batches, and all of them have foamed like crazy. My setup: 5ft 3/16 line, keg temp around 39-40 degrees. Set PSI to 30 for a day, then dial it back to 12psi for a few more. When i pour it at 12psi, i get huge globs of foam that come from the tap. So i try shutting off the gas, purging it and pouring it so slow that it barley comes from the tap, still giant globs of foam come out. I get about 90% foam in every glass, its not a line temp issue. I have pulled apart my kegs to check for any obstructions in the dip tube, poppets, etc. Is this an overcarbing issue or a balance issue? I could try switching to 10' lines, but the fact that it still foams when pouring at a trickle makes me think thats not the issue here. The beer does not seem overcarbed when drinking it, nor does it seem undercarbed. Im at a loss.

Back