Will foil catch on fire??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrooZer

Reaction score
If i put a layer of tin foil between my brew kettle and propane burner stand will it light on fire?

I am thinking of doing this so that the boil overs will drip on to the foil instead of my burner..

I have had tinfoil catch on fire on the grill, but have never used it on my burner. I also have had boil over hit the open flame and it did nothing just kinda drowned out the flame, However I could have been lucky But it is not "As" flammable as the peanut oil you use for deep frying.

Are you worried about the boil over hitting the flame, or getting elsewhere? I have a metal tray from a dog kennel underneath my burner to catch it if it happens, you could do something like that.

Yeah foil aint gonna cut it. Perhaps a round pizza pan provided it's not aluminum? Then again, if you get control over the burner, you won't have to worry about it;)

Well of course I messed around with wool and D batteries. :D How about using a magnifying glass to fry ants?

RICLARK said:
Are you worried about the boil over hitting the flame, or getting elsewhere? I have a metal tray from a dog kennel underneath my burner to catch it if it happens, you could do something like that.

Im not worried about it hitting the flame, i worried about it turning into burnt tar that I have to clean off of the burner.

Maybe ill try out the metal tray version.

Someone on here, I don’t remember who, said to use a spray bottle of water to kill the boil over. I tried this last time and it worked wonderfully. I don’t know if it was because it was a lighter lager or what, but I gave it a few squirts on the first boil up and it stopped it for the rest of the boil. Give it a shot, maybe you won’t need the catch plate at all.

A couple brews ago, I over sparged and had to boil off more than a gallon of water before my first hop addition. To speed the process, I used a small fan to blow the steam off the top of the boil pot. To keep the wort boiling, I had to turn the burner WAY up. The boil off went very quickly, and there was absolutely no chance of a boilover as the wort right at the surface was cooled below boiling as soon as it reached the surface. Just one more idea for people to consider.

BrooZer said:
Im not worried about it hitting the flame, i worried about it turning into burnt tar that I have to clean off of the burner.

Maybe ill try out the metal tray version.

Ok gotcha, My tray idea wont help you with that but maybe like someone else suggested using a steel pizza tray.

Back