How do I convert for extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mencken

Reaction score
Hey, I do partial mashes, and I have this full grain recipe. Is there an easy way to convert it to a partial mash? I'm guessing the wheat is what I'd use for extract? Maybe the row pale too?

5 lbs. - 2 Row Pale Malt
5 lbs. - Wheat Malt
1 lb. - Munich Malt (get the lighter stuff if you have a choice)
1/2 lb. - Crystal Malt (10L)

Thanks.

Generally, you can plan on 1 pound grain = .75 pounds LME = .6 pounds DME.

Since wheat DME is about 55% barley, 35% wheat, you can just replace it. If you can mash about 5 pounds of grain, I'd do something like:

2 pounds 2-row
2 pounds wheat malt
1 pound munich malt
1/2 pound crystal

4 pounds wheat DME (actually calcuates out to about 3.6 pounds, but I'd go with an even 4 pounds, to make up for possible poor efficiency on the PM)

Don't forget to adjust your hopping rates, if you're doing a less than full boil!

A good rule of thumb is .75 pounds of liquid extract for every pound of grain removed. So 3.75 pounds LME, 3.75 Wheat LME htne the Munich andthe crystal as stated. Are you doing a real partial mash or steeping then extract?

What's the difference between a "real partial mash" and steeping? I generally follow the thread by Death Brewer (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/). Is that steeping or partial mash?

Steeping is typically done only with specialty grains. It's is usually about 20 minutes instead of 60. The thread you pointed to is a "real partial mash." He's just doing it on the stove, instead of a cooler or other container. In a partial mash you are converting the starch in the grain into sugars. Steeping grains is just extracting the sugars and flavors from the grains.

Back