Solatubes or similar.. Got one? Like it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergears

Reaction score
I just discovered light tunnel systems, Solatube or similar, and have a possible application in my home.

As the quality of the light seems to be very subjective, I wonder if anybody here has some in their abodes, and what they think of them.

DIY install tips welcome as well, especially the roof flashing part..!

I've seen them in houses. They are nothing more than small, expensive skylights. Their primary advantage is not needing to do any dry wall work other than cutting holes. Makes them easier for DIY. The main disadvantages: small, expensive for the amount of light they give you.

No experience installing them, but I would say that the primary advantage of them versus a regular skylight is the tube - they can provide light through an attic space. My folks were thinking about installing them in their house over the main stairway; installing a regular skylight wasn't an option since there was an attic between the living space and the roof.

Back