Stir plate wiring help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is rough, but your wiring should be something like this:

adding a switch would break ONE leg of the system only.

wiring1.gif

Hang Glider - I wired it up as per your diagram and it works, including the potentiometer. I didn't add the power switch though. If I do that, what should I change? My power switch has three prongs: Power, ACC, Ground.

Thanks for bearing with me; I have zero experience in wiring/electronics.

You don't really need to ground a power switch, especially in this case, so if you use yours, try one wire to power, one wire to ACC - (the 'accessory' you're trying to power up). Remember, you're only using one wire, you're just interrupting it on its path to the fan (see the circle in the diagram).

However, a lighted switch does confuse the issue - and that's why it's labeled power and acc - any light requires a 'hot' and a neutral, so that's one more layer of complexity in the wiring you have to do. So - if you really want that to work, the leg you're NOT breaking with the switch should have a short jumper to the "ground" on the switch, to complete the light circuit. The "power" should come from the power source, the "acc" should go to the fan, otherwise the light will stay on all the time.

Sounds like you have a switch with 3 prongs? Connect 1 prong to (+) voltage. Middle prong to the potentiometer. (-) voltage to the third prong along with the negative of the fan. When you switch it either connects your fan to positive voltage completing a circuit or to the negative terminal which does nothing.

Got it! Turns out that the wire I was running from the power switch to the potentiometer wasn't carrying the charge for one reason or another. I didn't even think that could happen. Everything's working great now, running smoothly and quietly. Thanks for the help guys.

Back