Flip tops on regular bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmoney1224

Reaction score
I was visiting the folks last weekend and my mom had found a bunch of the grolsch flip tops when she had gone to the recycle center. I can get them on the regular bottles kind of secure using the rim of the bottle as resistance, but since my bottles don't have the holes on the side there is that risk of them coming off. I keg so I would only use them to transport to other locations.

Has anyone ever used flip tops on regular bottles? Any possible tips to make them as secure as possible?

I can't get my mind around how that could possibly work. It seems the slightest bump would knock them off from the lip of the bottle. Also, if the gasket isn't perfectly tight....you'll loose the co2 in your beer and quickly end up with a flat product....or better yet....a huge mess.

Like I said, it would just be to transport for consumption the same night. They do stay pretty tight, but you are right, if it bumps against something too hard it will come off.

I just wanted to know if someone had ever tried some kind of attachment. Maybe like zip ties with holes in them?

I do that now, but if I can use these and not have to buy caps all the time then I though it was worth a shot.

You'll end up spending more to occasionally replace the gaskets than you'll spend on caps. Now, for short term transport I use a Dead Guy Growler. Half gallon with a twist on cap....the bottle was free...(the beer wasn't though!!!)....

A long time ago there was a thread a guy posted that had some pic of some old flip tops that you add to a regular bottle. Each flip top had a small collar that fit around the neck of the bottle that had the indents to hold the flipper. My google foo is weak today and I cannot find that thread. :mad:

I can't think of a way that could possibly work. You'd have to duct-tape them onto the bottles, and even then it's a slim chance that it would hold pressure.

I'd go with plastic soda bottles, they're plentiful and the most likely to work as a pressure-holding substitute for the proper container...

Latest posts

Back