Vanilla Spiced Holiday Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MPEbeling

Reaction score
Hey fellow brewers/drinkers,

I'm pretty new to brewing and have done 2 all grain batches, a New Glarus Spotted Cow clone that was perfect, and a Green Flash Hop Head Red clone that smelled great, but had a disagreement with my wort chiller and ended up on my garage floor :(. I realized from these clones that 1) home brewing is very fun and rewarding 2) I am good at following directions and recipies, but I know nothing about my ability to make a good beer. So now it is time to man up and try to create something of my own. So for my first beer I'm trying to create a Vanilla Spiced Holiday Stout/Porter (from what I can tell these two are used interchangeable for the most part).

I want a BIG beer with lots of flavor. I love the sweet vanilla flavor of a porter and I like the spices of pumpkin beers and of the Great lakes Brewing Christmas Ale. I want the sweet vanilla to be the primary flavor with a subtle spiciness to it and I have no clue where to start. With the help of Beer Smith and a few brewing books I made a recipe, but I am struggling with what yeast to use and how much and when to use the spice and vanilla beans....this is where I need the most help, but any advice on any part of me recipe is much appreciated.

Here is what I have so far...
Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
9 lbs 4.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 61.2 %
1 lbs 9.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 10.3 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 9.9 %
12.8 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.3 %
10.1 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 5 4.2 %
6.1 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 6 2.5 %
1 lbs Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 7 6.6 %
1.30 oz Liberty [4.30 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 16.6 IBUs
0.60 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 9 8.0 IBUs

I should add that I always have kegged before but I think I would like to save some of this and age it for a few years and see how it develops, maybe I could even do an annual holiday brew and do vertical tastings. Should I just bottle it, or keg it and drink some and bottle some from the keg? Im thinking if I brew it in a week or two it will have enough time to be ready by Christmas.

:mug:

Thanks again for any and all advice, thoughts or input.

Back