Reasonably Priced Plastic Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerPumpsEtc

Reaction score
Hey all, my partner and I have been looking at building a plastic (food grade) fermenter and seeking some design input and general feedback to see if it is even worth the investment.

My real concern is would you consider a plastic fermenter over a SS one which no argument here is the cats ass, but if the price and general design is right?

We all would go SS so don't go there on this thread but when generally needing at least two units that is an expensive proposition. Our thoughts are if you could get two well designed plastic ones for the price of one SS would that make sense?

Well I think it is a good idea if it can be done. I have heard of people using tanks similar to these ones
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=25201&catid=513
for a 75 gallon it is $200 and it is FDA approved for liquids with a SG of less than 1.7 As far as sanitizing the beast I have no idea. I have seen these at the animal feed supply store and think they are food safe but not sure. Anyone who knows better feel free to chime in here to shoot it down or deem it plausible.

Good Luck

-BBS

Well i think those tubs can be made to work but we are talking about is a unit that is in the 50 liter range with tri-clamp 1 1/2" fittings with a sealing lid. The idea would be to offer a better price point than ss.

We posted a video of our new SS fermenters for those that were inquiring...

GreatBrewEh

Back