Fast natural carb?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Straight6TT

Reaction score
I have a nitro tap and no co2 system so i naturally carb my kegs. I know naturally carbing takes 3 weeks but will increasing the amount of sugar increase the carbonation level quicker? If I doubled my amount of sugar could that take half the time to reach full carbonation...I know that the bottles/keg would have to be chilled immediately to stop the yeast from producing more co2 and causing bottle bombs but does this work?

even if you would be able to stop the yeast by chilling the beer you would have a possible new problem; residual sweetness. i guess you could factor that into the plan but it all seems like too much work to me.

Patience is a virtue! I dont really know how to answer your question, but you could just relieve some of the pressure and let your yeast finish on the extra sugar. I still wouldnt do it, like eastoak said, you could end up with residual sugar if it doesnt ferment all of the sugar, so now you are waiting for it to ferment all of the sugar you added when you could have just waited in the first place.

3 weeks seems to be best for when I was bottling. Kegging may take a little less time. Especially for stouts on nitro as they dont need to car too much.

Back