Cider Newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jphalabuk

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have brewed several batches of beer with no trouble, so I thought I'd try something different. Last weekend I got four gallons of preservative-free cider and a gallon of preservative-free black currant juice. I added a a can of apple juice concentrate for sweetness, and threw in a vial of WPL775. As I recall, OG was 044. It was bubbling withing 6 hours. So after a week, the bubbling has slowed down a bit;I was thinking of racking to secondary this weekend, then bottling in a couple more weeks.
Has anyone ever done black currant before? Any predictions about my concoction?
Thanks in advance.

Sounds delicious to me!!! I would leave ot in primary until it's finished, then rack to secondary to bulk age and clear.
Colby

Just a quick update: I checked gravity this weekend, and it came out at 1.002. I think I will give it another week and rack it. A quick nip suggests it'll be good. Not especially sweet, but not too tart, either (I was worried, since blackcurrant is so tart).

Back