help me with my keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caughtablaze

Reaction score
So as soon as the tax return hits the bank, ill be getting the keezer stuff started. I've been searching around, reading and rereading threads about it but still have a few questions.

I'll be getting a 7ish foot chest freezer and want to possibly have 4 beer cornies and one soda corny for my roomate who doesnt drink to have when he gets back from iraq. I'm planning on a collar and all of that kind of stuff but i really just needed to know the best way to have the lines and regulators and alll that set up.

I have a 5lb tank with dual guage regulator and one corny so far.

Will i need another dual regulator to be able to have differing pressures for soda and beer? and then a 4-way manifold for the beer lines? any other recommendations for making this keezer awesome?

If you do a collar, it makes lines in/out MUCH easier then worrying about killing your freezer.

You will need a secondary regulator, or another primary regulator 'daisy chained' of your current one in order to have different pressures (check out MicroMatic.com, Kegerator, Draft Keg Beer Equipment, Taps). You can then hook a manifold/distribution block on the one for all of your beer connections (these will all be the same pressure).

Recommend spending the money on perlick faucets from the get go; cheaper to get them now then go cheap and buy them later. With four kegs on tap, I'm pretty sure the typical faucets will get stuck with out some care/attention.

Run one or two pc fans off mobile phone chargers to get airflow. I find I get the best result with one on the floor suspended between two blocks to raise it. Then have another fan most of the way up directly above the floor fan on a 45 degree angle facing the tap shanks. Keeps my collar nice and cool.

Also I wish I had got a 4 barb manifold rather than the 3 T junctions I have to split my gas line. In all its just about cost the same so sure it seemed cheaper but a manifold is a better buy and it usually has cut off valves on it too.

Make sure your keezer is square (90 degree corners) or it makes your collar harder to build like mine was.

Insulate the inside wood by putting a strip of wood on the top and bottom of the inside of collar. They you can cut polystyrene you can get at your local fish or vegie shop and cut it to size and push it in place no glue needed.

Push a thermometer into the poly backing at your tap shanks and it will give you the temp of your collar region. Mine sits at 41F.

Put your temp probe half way down the freezer in the center of it if you can.

I have just normal micro taps and have no problems with them. My garage stays pretty cool and I think thats the secret to them not sticking. Four Perlicks was out of my price range when you have to add in the cost of the shanks etc as well as the tap fronts. The fact the normal taps are cheaper and come complete won me over.

Put clip not screw on clamps on EVERY connection. No leaks here.

Figure out what sort of drip tray you want and drill out your tap shank holes based on the length of the drip tray. Trays cost a bit and having taps closer together not only makes it easier to get a smaller tray but also to get kegs in and out and not bang the tap fronts.

Seal all your wood joins with silicone. Don't unscrew your hinges from the keezer lid. Only the ones that attatch it to the freezer. Then just put the lid on the collar and screw into the back of the collar. Put electrical tape on the top of the collar. The fridge seals seem to give a better seal to that than just the wood and its cheap and easy.

Have fun and I hope I've helped. My second keezer conversion when I do one will be a lot easier than my first.

Latest posts

Back